Summer 2011

Summer 2011
#teamtepperswag

Monday, April 9, 2012

ACHOO "God, Bless that man!"

Dr. Weldon removed my NG tube today.  I have an NG tube after every surgery to drain out the contents of my tummy until it can wake up and do its job! I prepared myself; focused on my breathing while he removed the tape that held the end of tube to my cheek. Once he removes the tape I had to guesstimate of how much time I would have to inhale my last crucial breath. As he pulled out the tube I was not able to breathe in so I like to have a deep exhale prepared. He then slowly pulls the NG out of my stomach through my throat and nose. Of course I then have to blow some schnaz out of my schnoz, thinking “God bless that man.”  I am so much more comfortable now. (And I REALLY want a raspberry Popsicle or two!) I cannot wait until I can eat again!
The swelling I had in my hand is also just about gone and I now have not complete, but more normal function.  It was hard having a claw for a hand. I’ll admit I knocked over my fair share of water glasses trying to use it. Cats really seem to have the non-opposable thumb thing figured out - I’m a bit jealous. Good thing Happy and Polly aren’t here to watch me embarrass myself! Dr. Weldon confirmed that the numbness and swelling was caused by the positioning of my arms during surgery. I kept the left elevated which seemed to do the trick.
Yesterday I moved from my hospital bed to a chair for the first time since that oh so pleasant, planned surgery Friday morning. It’s really more of an “I just did that whole three feet move from bed to chair with my over-protective nurse and five more hovering around and holding me up thing today.”  It really makes a lot of sense to have 5 nurses practically carry you from the bed to a chair so you can get exercise.   Ha, ha, but I really do appreciate how protective they are with that initial change of position because it can really strike a nerve, whether it means passing out or getting sick. The nurses up here are great.
My whole family and Rachel’s boyfriend, Matt, visited yesterday afternoon on Easter. It was so exciting to see everyone and I wanted to talk about so many things, but it’s hard to keep the attention span of six people while a) nurses are walking in and out and b) you are horrible at telling stories. I let them go about their conversations (that I doubt were any more interesting than my fantastic stories!) while Rachel gave me a pedicure. We conversed, watched TV and hung out. I was struggling to keep my eyes open at the end of the day, but I didn’t want them to leave! I wish I had been a more awake hostess. Mmm Hostess Cupcakes…
I took my first walk today.  I needed two nurses and my dad to help with my pole and lines while I walked.  My balance wasn’t great.  I felt like I was walking with those silly drunk goggles on that they give you in the 5th grade D.A.R.E. program.  I was going too fast and my entourage was struggling to keep up with my pole and IV lines.  On my trip I ran into a nurse/friend Jamie.  She had seen me when I first came into the ER on Thursday and I was in pretty poor shape.   When she asked what was going on I filled her in.  One lap turned into two because I’m really bad at telling stories.  .
I’ve been flaunting the gifts that Nicole gave me to everyone who comes in my room and I know 3 or 4 of the nurses will be buying the ‘Baby Lips” chap stick.   I think I should be an official spokesperson.    My lips are now 77% more supple and 94% better moistened.    Jealous?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious Friends: